Created with Snap


A Collection of Six Listed Buildings

Middletons Hotel comprises of 56 bedrooms spread over six historic listed buildings around a courtyard setting, a welcoming restaurant and on-site leisure facilities. Tucked away on a residential street just a 5 minute walk from the main shopping area, our hotel is ideal for exploring York, enjoying a peaceful break and an exemplary conference experience.

Lady Anne House

Grade II* listed: The hospital was funded by an endowment given by Dame Anne Middleton in 1659, the wife of Peter Middleton, the then Sheriff of York. It is Dame Anne Middleton from whom the hotel has taken its name. It was originally built as a refuge for twenty widows of the Freemen of the City of York. The niche above the front door contains the figure from the 1659 building. The hospital was later rebuilt and extended in 1829 at the expense of the Corporation of York and then passed to the City Of York Charity Trustees before being rescued from near dereliction by the current owners in late 1972, opening for business just six months later, in June 1973. 19 bedrooms are located here, over two floors.

It houses a glass-roofed quiet lounge with some original Roman Masonry and also a glass-topped well. This lounge links the Anne Middleton’s hospital and the Organ Factory.

The Organ Factory

Grade II listed: Built towards the end of the 19th century, the unique Victorian style building was still in use by the master organ builder Walter Hopkins until 1921 when he retired. Walter built some of the finest organs for the churches of York and beyond. It was extended and converted in the early 1990’s.

The Organ Factory is now used as a function room to hold wedding ceremonies, private meetings and conferences.

Cromwell House

Originally built as part of an early 19th century sawmill close to the river, Cromwell house dates back to the industrial revolution. It was here at Emperors Wharf that whole timber from Northern Europe and the Scottish forests was landed on the banks of the river, before being sold as working wood to builders, joiners, carpenters and undertakers.

Now full extended, Cromwell House has 16 bedrooms over two floors, with the Sawmill restaurant forming an integral part of the ground floor. Much of the timber from this sawmill has been salvaged to create an architectural ambience around the hotel, which has preserved many of the buildings original features. Look for the huge fixings in the archway (often thought to have been a fireplace) that once were an integral part of the Sawmill. The wall at the far end of the Sawmill is part of the old city jail that once stood in the Baille Hill area of the city.

Sir Joseph Terry Cottages

Grade II listed: The “Terry Memorial Houses” that are located in the garden of Lady Anne Middleton’s were designed by architect Walter G Pentry, 1899, funded by public subscriptions to the memory of the late Sir Joseph Terry. Of architectural note are the heraldic display and buttresses.

The Sir Joseph Terry cottages are now used as accommodation.

Chaplin House

Grade II listed: This elegant town house was built in the late 17th Century, in the originally extensive gardens of the Skeldergate House. It has been greatly reduced in size since 1850, by the removal of a block of buildings, possibly service quarters, from the back. Rebuilding and alterations were necessary following war damage in 1942. Inside, the feature of note is the staircase, with turned balusters with square knops, a closed string, turned newels and a swept handrail.

Latterly the house was the residence of Hans Hess, a renowned art expert and former director of York City Art Gallery. It is here that he would entertain participants of the triennial York Festival of which he was artistic director from 1954 to 1966. Guests included Benjamin Britten, Peter Pears, Cleo Laine, Johnny Dankworth and Charlie Chaplin; one of the greatest laughter makers of all time. The period staircase leads to a further 9 en-suite bedrooms on three floors.

No. 56 Skeldergate

Grade II* listed: A large town house built in the second half of the 18th Century, probably to designs by John Carr. Before 1760 the site belonged to George Pawson, a York Merchant who moved to London and leased the “house, garden and cellars” to tenants until 1769, when he sold the freehold to Ralph Dodsworth, merchant, Lord Mayor of York in 1792. Dodsworth was Sheriff in 1777-9, and since it was customary for the sheriffs to entertain in their own houses, it is likely that the present building dates from this time. The house changed hands several times after this. In 1925 a carriageway was driven through the building to give access to a rear yard, demolishing a service wing and destroying important rooms. The driveway was removed, and rooms reinstated, plus extending the rear of the building, by the present owner in 1998/99, creating a conference suite. Newly refurbished in early 2012 the conference rooms have become bedrooms. No. 56 Skeldergate now offers 6 deluxe bedrooms and 3 spacious executive suites, plus a quiet lounge with a beautiful Venetian window overlooking the garden of Skeldergate House.